Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: man-db-2.6.7-2

Michael DePaulo writes:
> Consider the example of where I work. After I install the corporate IT
> department's SCCM "package"/"script" for Cygwin (1.7.16, last updated
> August 2012)

That is an entirely different issue and one your IT will have to
resolve.  Given how these departments operate, don't get your hope up
too high; they've already ticked all their checkboxes and moved on to
other things.

In my own installation I do an incremental rebase and will do a mandb
update each time setup has been run (I've patched setup.exe to allow for
that).  That's the only way to keep things sane at the moment if you're
doing installations for anyone but yourself, especially if some of those
user do not have local admin rights.

> I am greeted by this message every time I start the Cygwin Terminal:

That will soon become a non-issue with the AD integration that is in the
works.  Your IT department will have to update to it, though.

[â]
> I am not suggesting that users see a mandb message every time they
> launch cygwin. But I am suggesting that that users see it when they
> 1st launch cygwin. They already see this message:
[â]

In all these cases it's easy and fast to test for the condition that
triggers the message, that is quite necessary since that check will be
run on every login.  Checking for no database would be easy enough I
think, but checking for an outdated database might be more tricky.  I
could think up something to add to base-files for the first case.

I'm not sure what to do for the latter.  I think it must be the
responsibility of any package that installs man pages to trigger a db
update, but that would get us into the situation again that the first
install takes inordinately long on some systems (just to note that
TeXlive has that same problem).  We might need to cook up with some way
to defer these until they can be run in the background.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html