Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine

Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>> When I wanted to replicate my cygwin installation from a 32-bit
>> machine to another 32-bit machine, it was straightforward.  I would
>> simply reinstall all installed packages, but have the downloaded
>> packages got to a folder which I then burn to CD.
>>
>> However, my next machine is a 64-bit machine.  So I have to use the
>> 64-bit setup.  Is there an almost-as-painless way to replicate the
>> 64-bit version of the packages that I have installed on my 32-bit
>> machine?
>
> You contradicting yourself. 64-bit packages are entirely different
> files than 32-bit packages.

Yes, I understand.  I was referring to the 64-bit versions of my
32-bit packages.  It took quite some period of discovery to determine
my operational needs and the packages required. I'm hoping to avoid
that re-experiencing that.

> Your only option is to download all of them. One way or another.

OK.

> Also keep in mind that not all of packages are ported over to 64bit
> yet.

Worse comes to worse, I'll simply install my 32-bit packages.  As I
said, the method of replicating the subset of packages that I already
have is straightforward.

> If this may be an important factor in your decision to switch over
> to 64-bit installation, you'd have to do some investigation first.
> I.e. install 64-bit OS in virtual machine and try some things you
> normally do in your daily use.

I'm migrating to a new machine.  I'll just try the 64-bit for real on
the new machine.  If it doesn't work out, I always have a disc of my
subset of 32-bit packages.

Thanks!