Re: setup.exe handles same packages in multiple mirrors badly

Hm,

now that's interesting.

But first things first, it is BjÃrn or Bjoern, not Bjorn. :-)

Now to the interesting part.
If I call setup.exe like the following:

setup-cygwin.exe --site
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwinports/ --site
ftp://ftp.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de/cygwin/ --only-site --root
D:\\cygwin --package-manager - -local-package-dir D:\\cygwin-packages
--no-shortcuts --pubkey http://cygwinports.org/ports.gpg

from the console, the console brings amongst other things the message

package git comparing versions 2.0.4-1 and 1.8.5.5-1, result was 1

Now I only wanted to update the git packages, so I selected "Keep" in
the upper right corner, filtered for "git" in the upper left and then
cycled in the "New" column and only got the entries "Keep",
"1.8.5.5-1" and "Uninstall".
If I now instead select "Curr" in the upper right, the git packages
have "2.0.4-1" selected in "New" column.
If I now cycle through the possibilities I still keep only getting
"Keep", "1.8.5.5-1" and "Uninstall".
The only way to get 2.0.4-1 back in that column is to deselect "Curr"
and select "Curr" again.
So to just update Git to the newest version I would currently have to
select "Cur" and then manually change all other packages to "Keep", as
this seems the only way to get 2.0.4-1 selected as "New" version.

Now comes the even more interesting part.
Now I started setup.exe with

setup-cygwin.exe --site ftp://ftp.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de/cygwin/
--only-site --root D:\\cygwin --package-manager - -local-package-dir
D:\\cygwin-packages --no-shortcuts --pubkey
http://cygwinports.org/ports.gpg

which is the same command but only the cygwinports mirror removed.
What I see now is the same as before, just that the "New" column
entries reduced to "Keep" and "Uninstall" and selecting "Curr" is
still the only possibility to get 2.0.4-1 into the "New" column of the
git packages.

So this doesn't seem quite right, even with only one mirror selected. :-/

Actually I found a less cumbersome workaround than deselecting all
other packages after selecting "Curr".
Using --packages works, so either calling

setup-cygwin.exe --site
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwinports/ --site
ftp://ftp.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de/cygwin/ --only-site --root
D:\\cygwin --package-manager --local-package-dir D:\\cygwin-packages
--no-shortcuts --pubkey http://cygwinports.org/ports.gpg --packages
git --packages git-completion --packages git-cvs --packages git-gui
--packages git-svn --packages gitk

or directly

setup-cygwin.exe --site
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwinports/ --site
ftp://ftp.hawo.stw.uni-erlangen.de/cygwin/ --only-site --root
D:\\cygwin --local-package-dir D:\\cygwin-packages --no-shortcuts
--pubkey http://cygwinports.org/ports.gpg --packages git --packages
git-completion --packages git-cvs --packages git-gui --packages
git-svn --packages gitk --quiet-mode

works in selecting only the git packages and updating them to the
current version.

Now that 2.0.4-1 is installed, it lets me select "Keep", "Reinstall",
"Source", "1.7.9-1", "1.8.5.5-1" and "Uninstall", so setup.exe
obviously already supports versions from different mirrors (repos) as
1.7 is previous version on normal mirror and 1.8 is from cygwin-ports.

Best regards
BjÃrn