changing cygdrive prefix in fstab has no effect

I'm teaching a class at a local college, and since their computer lab is
stocked with Windows 7 & 8 machines, I had them install cygwin64 to use
as a command line.

The only change I requested they make to the config is to replace the
"/cygdrive" in /etc/fstab with "/".  This is my config at home, and
googling seems to indicate it is an accepted way of changing the default
prefix.  The problem is, it has no effect - the prefix (in a new
session) is still /cygdrive, as shown by mount and ls.

Any tips on why this may not be working?  I've verified the change to
/etc/fstab - it's the default, with only the first occurrence of
"/cygdrive" changed to "/".  It happened in two different computer labs,
administered by to different sysadmins, on I believe two different
operating systems (win7 & 8).  I don't have a cygcheck output on me, but
this is a clean install, downloaded as of this week, with no extra
packages except python.  Using "mount -c" works, but is not persistent
between sessions.

The below works for me at home:

# This is default anyway:
# none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
none / cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

mitch