Re: "su" command removed / coreutils-8.23-2

On 09/11/2014 09:16 PM, Denis MÃhle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today i've updated my cygwin and now i have a big problem.  the "su"
> command was removed.
>
> https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00245.html
>

> i need "su" to start my services as seperate user,
> because i have a webinterface to manage my services for both Linux and
> Windows and it needs the "su" command.
>

>  - will the "su" command  come back to cygwin?

I've debated about reviving 'su' as it was in coreutils 8.15 into its
own package, unlikely to ever be further updated (except maybe
recompiled as needed), but that takes work and free time, so anyone else
is more than welcome to attempt it first.

>  - or is there a alternative workaround? ( without password /  login )

You could always compile it yourself, from the 8.15 sources as patched
downstream for cygwin.