Re: Direct/efficient way to chop off trailing \n

Eliot Moss wrote:
> echo -n $(cygpath -aw foo) > /dev/clipboard?

Gary, I was hoping for a magic bullet code idiom so that I don't have
to haul around a growing .alias.bash file.  But I think your solution
might be the only one that significantly cuts down on the typing.

Jim, I think you're right.  cygpath could benefit a lot from a -n
switch to suppress the new line.  From google, however, it's actually
just li'l olde me that would benefit as no one else seems to have the
want for it.  So I can see why such a switch has never been developed.
It's probably only needed for cygwin users, as it is the *unixy crowd
that uses both Windows & *nix at the same time.

Eliot, your solution takes 2 characters less than mine.  If I want to
live without spaces aroud the "$(" and the ")".  Which I suppose I
could do, for 2 characters.....  I'm a bit enamoured of the linear
simplicity of my original pipeline, though.  Appreciate the other
perspective, though.

Thank you all.