Question regarding grep 2,6,3 regular expression looking for lines without something in a part of a line

I am using an older version of cygwin on a Windows 7 PC.
I have a file of data that is formatted in character separated value format.
For example, a couple of lines might be:

"Doe, John";"Student";"Senior"
"Admin";"Staff";

Now, I want to perform a grep that returns lines that do not have a
comma in the "first column" of data.

I tried the obvious
grep '^"[^,"]";' file.csv
but did not get the results desired. I got nothing returned - but I
know there are lines like the admin line in the data.

I know there are all sorts of extended regular expression atoms
available; is this a case where I need egrep and something unique to
express the requirements?

--

Larry W. Virden
http://www.facebook.com/lvirden/