Re: Base 64-bit Cygwin now requires Perl?

On 2014-10-31 14:35, Ken Brown wrote:
On 10/31/2014 12:59 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Steven Penny wrote:
Because of this dependency line

This issue is back again, now with

bash
   _update-info-dir
     texinfo
       perl

This is a side effect of the fact that I switched to cygport for
packaging when I took over as texinfo maintainer.  cygport (correctly)
detected perl as a dependency because texinfo provides perl scripts.  In
fact, the most important program in texinfo is /usr/bin/makeinfo, which
is a symlink to a perl script.

I'll wait for guidance from above before doing anything about this.

Fedora splits out texinfo into 3 packages:

1) texinfo: makeinfo, texi2any, pod2texi, /usr/share/texinfo, /usr/share/info/texinfo*

2) info: info, infokey, install-info, /usr/share/info/info*

3) texinfo-tex: texindex, texi2dvi, texi2pdf, pdftexi2dvi, /usr/share/texmf*/tex/texinfo

In this setup, only 'info' would be required by _update-info-dir and should not have any Perl dependencies. texinfo would be in 'Devel' and would have Perl dependencies, while texinfo-tex would also have texlive dependencies.

Yaakov