Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.33-0.6

On Nov  6 07:39, Christian Franke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Hi Cygwin friends and users,
> >

> >I just released a 6th TEST version of the next upcoming Cygwin release,
> >1.7.33-0.6.
> >

> Looks good so far.
>
> An observation from my first test on a machine which is member of a domain:
>
> mkpasswd -l and -L always print the HOST prefix.
> mkpasswd -d and -D never print the DOMAIN prefix

Right.  That's by design.  -D is deprecated.  -L of the new mkpasswd/
mkgroup (which hopefully are not used by users a lot in future) only
prefix *foreign* machines.  Otherwise the naming rules of the underlying
Cygwin SAM/AD naming rules are strictly followed so that a defaultt
passwd or group file will be identical to the output generated by
the "db" mechanism[1].

> This likely would break creation of local 'technical' user accounts in
> existing *-config scripts (possibly including the csih script):

The csih scrip needs a thorough kick anyway.  I'm working on and off
on that, but it's not easy due to a couple of very ingrained assumptions
not valid anymore.  I hope to get a new csih working next week.

> Now on my wishlist: an nsswitch.conf option to change the 'print prefix'
> behavior for machines in a domain.

I disabled this deliberately[1].

Corinna

[1] Reproducability of the passwd/group genearation rules... rulez :)

Red Hat