Re: occasional failure to look up

On Nov 18 16:26, Habermann, David (D) wrote:
> From: cygwin-owner
> The problem here is the abbreviation in both cases.  What I was looking
> for is if your user uid/SID shows up in the token group list as well.
> I don't need the full list, but can you please check?
>
> 1125370 does not occur anywhere else in the ID output (only as UID).
> U074036 also does not appear anywhere else in the ID output (only as
> UID).

Ok, that's more or less what I expected...

> 1125370 does not appear anywhere in the whoami output.  However,
> u074036 does appear twice in the whoami output.  I've included both
> below.
>
> User Name: dow\u074036
> SID:       S-1-5-21-1060284298-861567501-682003330-76794
>
> Group Name: DOW\U074036
> Type:       User
> SID:        S-1-5-21-4015118-2039090470-1726288727-4013
> Attributes: Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

...and this too.  It explains the problem at least partially.

But... there's something weird here:  While this is both time the same
DOMAIN\user combination, it has two different SIDs.  I never, ever saw
that.  It looks broken to me, but I could be missing something.

> Now this makes no sense to me....I don't understand why "I" am both a
> user and a group....any thoughts on that?

Not really something which would help you, I guess.

It might be a deliberate corporate setting, or a mistake when setting up
your group memberships.  Windows doesn't care.  A group may be used as
owner and a user may be used as group, it's all the same to Windows.

However, the differnet SIDs for the same domain\user looks really
strange.  I can't explain that, sorry.  I'd suggest to ask the admins,
maybe somebody can explain, and, hopefully, you can share the info :}

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat