Re: "Bug" in setup-x86.exe command line

> On 12/9/2014 12:07 PM, Kizito Porta Balanyà wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>

>>>   I use the latest version of the installer setup-x86.exe version 2.852
>>> I think that the command line installer has some king of "bug".
>>

>>> The following line doesn't download the bash package:
>>

>>> setup-x86.exe --download --site
>>
>> http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin  --quiet-mode
>> --no-shortcuts --local-package-dir c:\testdir --packages bash
>>
>>> Instead the following line does it (csih package):
>>

>>> setup-x86.exe --download --site
>>> http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin  --quiet-mode
>>> --no-shortcuts --local-package-dir c:\testdir --packages csih
>>

>>> I don't understand what is happening. I attache the log files: they
>>> seem ok, but in fact the bash package is never downloaded.

>> No, it's not. It is a clean directory , whithout previous interactive
>
>                ^^
> By "It" I assume you mean the local package directory c:\testdir.  But you
> haven't specified a root directory for the install.  So setup probably
> assumed whatever root directory you used in your last Cygwin install.  If
> I'm not mistaken, this information is recorded in the registry.  I hope
> someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you are right again,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygwin\setup
rootdir = C:\....

I found more information here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7447468/how-to-set-cygwin-root-directory

https://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.c

2.23.

How do I save, restore, delete, or modify the Cygwin information
stored in the registry?
Since Cygwin 1.7, there's nothing important in the registry anymore,
except for the installation directory information stored there for the
sake of setup-x86{_64}.exe. There's nothing left to manipulate
anymore.

>> session and nothing is installed.

>> I'm only trying to download packages, not installing them.
>

> That may be your intention/expectation, but setup is downloading them *for
> later install*, as I said before.
>
>> Bash is not downloaded, but csih it is (as example). Could you try
>> both commands and let me know if it works for you?
>

> I had already tried them before responding to your first message.  In my
> case setup didn't download either bash or csih, presumably because they were
> both already installed (in the Cygwin installation whose root was stored in
> the registry).  On the other hand, I just now tried your first command
> again, but I added "--root c:/foobar".  So I explicitly told setup I'm doing
> a new installation, and this time it did download bash (as well as all its
> dependencies).
>
> I think setup is behaving as designed.

Thanks again for all your time.