Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002

On Dec 9, 2014, at 3:56 AM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Dec  8 15:14, Warren Young wrote:
>> On Dec 6, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>
>>> - Cygwin can now generate passwd/group entries directly from Windows
>>
>> don’t use AD here, and /etc/passwd suffices
>> for my purposes
>
> You can still benefit, I hope.  Even when using only the local SAM, the
> process startups should be a tad bit faster than when every exec'ed
> process has to read /etc/passwd and /etc/group files:

Challenge…accepted.

I decided to do the nastiest thing I could think of to Cygwin: run a configure script. ;)

In my Windows 10 Technical Preview test VM, Cygwin 64 1.7.33 runs the iperf3 configure script in 20 seconds.  On upgrading to 1.7.34-002, without doing anything to nsswitch.conf, the time remained the same.  On making the suggested change to nsswitch.conf, configure time went *up* to 21 seconds.

So, I moved the new nsswitch.conf back out of the way, relaunched MinTTY, and configure time dropped its extra second.

Hmm.