Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.34-002

On Dec 10, 2014, at 9:37 PM, Alexey Pavlov <alexpux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also we switch to use real /usr folder and just create virtual mount for /bin folder that needed for some programs.

You’re fighting the prevailing trend in Unix/Linux OS design by doing that.  Solaris, Red Hat, and probably others also alias /usr/bin and /bin, and /usr/lib and /lib.  It isn’t some weird Cygwin-only practice.

The reason for this separation goes back to the days when it made sense to have separate physical volumes for the OS root and the “user space”.  Now that you can get 64 gigs on a chip the size of your fingernail, this Unix design principle is about to follow UUCP into the dustbin of history.