Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 1.7.35-0.1

On Feb 16 10:56, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> >> That makes me wonder, if there's a sane way to simulate such login process
> >> under cygwin without asking user for name/password?
> >> Or unsetting global %HOME% is the only way to go?
> >
> > There's no reason at all to set a global %HOME% variable for Cygwin.
>
> The trouble is that it changes things when some bright chap thought it a
> good idea to set it in Windows, even though Windows itself makes no use
> of it that I would know of.  If you've set it yourself you can take note
> and change it, but sometimes you're not in that position.

But there's no way to change that other than giving the bright chap a
good spanking.  And in many cases setting HOME in the Windows environment
works nicely for some people.  Personally I'm in favor of discouraging
people to do that (*), but hey, ultimately it's their system.

The fact that shells don't set HOME themselves is the right thing to do
and there's really no good reason to special-case that for Cygwin.  You
can get the same problem on other Unix systems.  Consider the capability
to set the environment in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys for instance.

Corinna

(*) This may qualify for YA faq entry, or a rewrite of the faq entries
    "Why doesn't bash read my .bashrc file on startup?" and
    "My HOME environment variable is not what I want."

    For a start, I changed the references to HOME from the Windows
    environment in the User's Guide.

Red Hat