Re: xlaunch small glitch

On Feb 28 01:15, Denis Excoffier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the last xlaunch package, the etc/postinstall/xlaunch.sh reads:
>
> % cat /etc/postinstall/xlaunch.sh.done
> # add a start menu shortcut
> case $(uname -s) in *-WOW64) wow64=" (32-bit)" ;; esac
> /usr/bin/mkdir -p "$(/usr/bin/cygpath $CYGWINFORALL -P)/Cygwin-X${wow64}"
> /usr/bin/mkshortcut $CYGWINFORALL -P -i /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -n "Cygwin-X${wow64}/XLaunch" -a "/usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe" /usr/bin/run.exe
>
> # add file association for opening and editing .xlaunch files
> /usr/share/xlaunch/setupreg.sh add
> %
>

> The "WOW64" on second line should be changed into "WOW*" (or equivalent) since now the W7 32bits are now called "CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW".

Just for your information:  This change from WOW64 to WOW in the uname
sysname output was forced on us to account for the excessive version
bump in Windows 10.

Rather than bumping the kernel version to 6.4, which would have been the
right thing to do, the marketing guys at Microsoft had the brilliant
idea that the kernel version should finally be the same version as the
marketing name of the OS.  And since they were wailing so much, the
developers caved in and made the bump.

So now we would have the sysname

  CYGWIN_NT-10.0-WOW64

which has 20 characters, plus a trailing \0.  The sysname char array has
a length of 20 characters, which is hard to change if we want to
maintain backward compatibility with existing tools like uname.

Therefore I shortened "WOW64" to "WOW".  I would have loved to change
"CYGWIN_NT" to "CYGWIN" instead, but there are more scripts out in the
wild explicitely testing for this, than testing for "WOW64".  I didn't
even know one of our own scripts is checking that.

Sorry Jon :}

And if you're wondering why I didn't just drop the ".0" from "10.0",
the reason is that I'm not confident there won't be a 10.x kernel
version in the future.

Corinna

Red Hat