Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 1.7.35-1

On Mar  6 12:51, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > - Change handling of group permissions if owner SID == group SID.  Now the
> >   group permissions don't mirror the user permissions anymore, thus leading
> >   to less hassle with security-conscious applications.
>
> There's another tricky situation that is not yet handled:
>
> If the file is owned by myself and I'm in a group that allows full access
> (but not ACL modifications), Cygwin will show that file as having mode
> "---rwx---+".  Applications that follow POSIX semantics will interpret that
> file as unreadable by the owner (==current user) and skip checking the group
> permissions, while NTFS will still happily grant that access.  So in that
> situation the group permissions need to be promoted to the owner permissions.

The problem is this.  How long do you want `ls -l' take?  Checking
permissions is awkward and lengthy on Windows, unless you have the
user's token.  The access check can be improved and the permissions
more correctly shown for the current user, but for any file and any
user account, it'd be a lot of time-consuming effort.

Corinna

Red Hat