Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: Cygwin 1.7.35-1

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> The problem is this.  How long do you want `ls -l' take?  Checking
> permissions is awkward and lengthy on Windows, unless you have the
> user's token.

The only token that's relevant for the ACL mapping w.r.t. POSIX
semantics is that of the current user and Cygwin should already have
that I think.  Plus the extra work only needs to be done when the file
is owned by that user and/or the egid is identical to the group of said
file.  In all other cases the normal ACL processing should actually
yield the same result as mandated by POSIX.

> The access check can be improved and the permissions more correctly
> shown for the current user, but for any file and any user account,
> it'd be a lot of time-consuming effort.

I'd say that Cygwin already does all of that, except for this special
handling of the file owner and group.  It already has to check who the
owner and group is, so that information is also there.  I'm not sure how
much more work it is to graft the permissions.

Regards,
Achim.