Re: Soft link created with 'ln -s' is not seen as a shortcut by WXP

Greetings, Rodrigo Medina!

> One nice feature of cygwin was that a link  to a folder  created by 'ln -s'
> was seen as shortcut to the folder by WXP. Lately it does not function
> like that.

>  $ ls -aFl Escr
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 rmedina Usuarios 53 Dic  9  2009 Escr -> /cygdrive/c/Documents
> and Settings/rmedina/Escritorio/

> $ln -s /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/rmedina/Escritorio test
> $ ls -aFl test
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 rmedina Usuarios 53 Abr  5 10:27 test -> /cygdrive/c/Documents
> and Settings/rmedina/Escritorio/

> $ cd Escr
> $ pwd
> /home/rmedina/Escr
> $pwd  -P
> /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/rmedina/Escritorio
> $cd ../
> $cd test
> $pwd
> /home/rmedina/test
> $pwd  -P
> /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/rmedina/Escritorio

> Both links work fine for bash, but  the old one 'Escr' is seen as a
> shortcut by WXP, while the new one 'test' is not recogniced as a shortcut
> by the
> W-explorer. It has a generic file icon and the properties indicate it is
> system file.

> I hope that this nice feature can be recovered.

Perhaps, this is because new shortcuts are created without .lnk extension? you
may try adding one yourself.
You may also try setting winsymlinks to a different value, but I'm skeptical
of the effect.
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html#cygwinenv-implemented-options

--
With best regards,