Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.0.0-5

On Apr 16 10:28, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> > This might happen if either one of these SIDs is invalid or NULL, which
> > in turn may occur if the owner or group SID can't be found in the
> > account DB.
> >
> > The question is then, is your /etc/passwd or /etc/groups file broken,
> > and/or are you using the "files" only method in /etc/nsswitch.conf?
>
> I don't know how to tell if those files are broken.
> /etc/nsswitch.conf has only comments.
>
> Interestingly, this problem did not occur at work, Windows 7
> Enterprise, 64-bit.  Perhaps one of passwd/group is broken at home,
> but not at work?

Possibly.  It might be interesting to check the files.  Don't delete
them, they may come in handy for forensics.  If you don't mind and they
don;t contain anything too private, you might even just copy them here.

> Is there a way to re-create either /etc/passwd and/or /etc/groups as
> if I were installing Cygwin from scratch (but not actually doing
> that)?

I would suggest not to use passwd and group files anymore, unless you're
in a situation with no connection to the account DB (e.g.  AD member
machine without connection to the DC).

Otherwise, if you're feeling more comfortable with passwd and group
files, you can easily recreate them with mkpasswd/mkgroup.

Corinna

Red Hat