Re: Fish Shell Speed?

> David Frascone wrote:
> > 1) Has anyone seen this behavior before?  If so, do you remember which
> > functions may be causing it (hg vs git speed under cygwin maybe?)
> >
> > 2) Any thoughts on trying to profile a prompt and/or shell script, if
> > I pull it out of the prompt function
>
> Anytime you have to call an external process, you pay a multiplied
> penalty on cygwin -- 1st linux process spawning, while costly, are
> less than Windows, and 2) cygwin has to emulate the posix semantics
> on windows -- to which it is not friendly.  If you could somehow cache
> recent data in data struct and only updated ever 10 minutes with a
> live call, that might help...?

Yeah.  If you look in the standard fish_prompt function, it does some of that -
cacheing calculated outputs that can be expected not to change for the duration
of a single shell.  My prompt isn't as bad as yours, but there's a noticeable
lag in Cygwin that's not there in Linux.

Profiling would be a good idea, but I don't know how you do that with a fish
script.  I suggest asking on the fish-users list.

Good luck,
Andrew