This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin X11 server won't start
- From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert at alum dot mit dot edu>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 00:27:52 -0600
- Subject: Re: Cygwin X11 server won't start
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAK-n8j7jGP6Vwmro140s=jRya+F6qscd6oyyKQsntcpue5w7zw at mail dot gmail dot com> <55976C75 dot 4030705 at gmail dot com>
I am happy to report that I found the culprit. While installing
another piece of software today, "Lavasoft Web Companion" came along
as a stow-away. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove this
@#$%^& program, and I ended up corrupting my registry in the process.
I was able to restore my C:\ (boot) partition from last night's backup
and all is well now.
NOTE TO SELF: when an installation program offers you advanced
options, LOOK AT THEM! In my case, there was an option to NOT install
the extra unwanted software.
Jim Reisert AD1C, <firstname.lastname@example.org>, http://www.ad1c.us
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple