This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin X11 server won't start
- From: Jon TURNEY <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: jjreisert at alum dot mit dot edu
- Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 14:46:32 +0100
- Subject: Re: Cygwin X11 server won't start
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAK-n8j7jGP6Vwmro140s=jRya+F6qscd6oyyKQsntcpue5w7zw at mail dot gmail dot com> <55976C75 dot 4030705 at gmail dot com> <CAK-n8j78zek+NBOn+j4rQUsCW+c8vBoe31oOYDeawtJdmED++A at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 04/07/2015 07:27, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
I am happy to report that I found the culprit. While installing
another piece of software today, "Lavasoft Web Companion" came along
as a stow-away. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove this
@#$%^& program, and I ended up corrupting my registry in the process.
I was able to restore my C:\ (boot) partition from last night's backup
and all is well now.
NOTE TO SELF: when an installation program offers you advanced
options, LOOK AT THEM! In my case, there was an option to NOT install
the extra unwanted software.
This is the second report of "Lavasoft Web Companion" causing the X
server to fail to start due to failure to run xkbcomp, see .
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple