This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Minor issues with Cygwin/X FAQ webpage
- From: Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal dot ORG>
- To: Jon TURNEY <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:36:25 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: Minor issues with Cygwin/X FAQ webpage
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <201507201914 dot PAA11490 at Stone dot Rodents-Montreal dot ORG> <55AE53E3 dot 3080406 at dronecode dot org dot uk>
> This is the correct place to report such issues.
Good; always nice to get confirmation I guessed right. :-)
>> In FAQ item 1.9, [...]
>> Surely those list addresses shouldn't _all_ be the same...?
> This piece of text obviously doesn't make much sense after the
> search-and-replace which happened when the cygwin-xfree list was
Ah! I wondered how that had happened. Makes perfect sense now.
Though, I do note, the new wording makes it sound as though cygwin@ is
specifically for Cygwin/X, rather than all of Cygwin. As a strawman
for a fix, how about
Not for Cygwin/X specifically, but Cygwin/X traffic is
appropriate for the main Cygwin list at cygwin@....
>> 12.8. Isn't "XWin" trademarked by StarNet Communications?
>> No. A quick search at the United States Patent and Trademark
>> Office for "XWin" [...]
>> The question does not specify a jurisdiction; [...]
> I don't know why this is in the FAQ. It seems to record the
> discussion at .
It does, it does indeed. I did a few searches against the archives,
but must have missed the search terms which would have turned up that
one. (Not surprising; my search-fu is quite weak.)
> How would you suggest rewriting this?
It could be as simple as changing the answer to something like
Not in the USA, at least; a quick search at...
/~\ The ASCII Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
X Against HTML firstname.lastname@example.org
/ \ Email! 7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39 4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple