Re: db_home setting in nsswitch.conf is ignored.

Greetings, Shaun Martin!

>> Is HOME set in the Windows environment already?  If so, this
>> might interact with the setting in /etc/nsswitch.conf, which *only*
>> works for entries taken from the passwd DB (getpwnam, getpwuid calls).
>>
>> How do you start mintty?  It should be started with a single parameter,
>> a dash, e.g.:
>>
>>   C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -

> Yes, HOME is set in the Windows environment and I am not able to change it.

How so?...

> With the "SET" command in a Windows command prompt I can see:

> HOME=SERVER/USERS5:USERS\SHAUN

That's suspicious. So many symbols not allowed to be there.

> When you say it only works for entries taken from passwd DB, does that
> mean I need to create a "/etc/passwd" file in order to change the
> "db_home" directory with nsswitch.conf?

No, she said that it only works if Cygwin has to retrieve these records from
DB. If the information is already available, it will be used as is.

> I'm starting mintty with the shortcut generated by the installer:

> C:\Users\shaun\Apps\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -

System properties - Advanced - Environment.
Remove the HOME variable. It shouldn't be there for Windows to begin with.
If that wouldn't work, talk to your domain admin, explain the situation and
ask to resolve the conflict.
If Cygwin is a necessary part of your workflow, there's a Cygwin-specific
schema available which can be installed in domain to help facilitate provision
of the necessary Cygwin-specific information.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...