This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Applications no longer launching from xdg
- From: Jon TURNEY <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert at alum dot mit dot edu>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:40:53 +0100
- Subject: Re: Applications no longer launching from xdg
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAK-n8j46hY18wLFPgaqhpnzj6XQTWAHbVjBNz4EWgeCyiVY_oQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 20/07/2015 06:06, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
I installed Windows 10 over the weekend ("RTM" release 10240, 64-bit,
Pro). Cygwin, X server and XDG were working fine until sometime
Sunday afternoon. Suddenly, I could not launch xterms, but still
could from the old Xwin icon in the system notification area. Nothing
works from XDG (other than exit), not even viewing the logfile. I
have no idea what could have caused this. Any ideas?
I even tried uninstalling xinit and two xdg modules, then
re-installing them, but that didn't work. In fact, I lost the
Cygwin-X menu in the Start folder, so now I can't even start the X
server from there.
I assume you are talking about the xdg-menu here.
I've done some testing on the Windows 10 TP x86_64, but I can't
reproduce this problem.
If you can reproduce this problem, you could always examine the
~/.xsession-errors file directly.
On 20/07/2015 06:07, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
One somewhat unrelated thing I'd like to add: Once the 'X' icon
appears, it takes another good 20 seconds or so for the xdg menu icon
to appear. I have no idea what's causing that.
This is unfortunately normal. A lot of work needs to take place to
construct the menu, tracking down the .menu and .desktop files,
interpreting their contents and locating icons.
Of course, if someone wants to do some profiling and optimizing, that
would be great :D
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple