This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update: mintty 2.1.2
- From: "Houder" <houder at xs4all dot nl>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 22:44:20 +0200
- Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update: mintty 2.1.2
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <55B2B644 dot 8010506 at towo dot net> <be0351be5e3aa7b7ba980fc25f9cce0c dot squirrel at oude-webmail dot xs4all dot nl> <e731c3536912df8739a630e17ab5d8ec dot squirrel at oude-webmail dot xs4all dot nl> <10d3a46960f8ec71784bdf15a0ee6b58 dot squirrel at oude-webmail dot xs4all dot nl> <1e17310bb0689632cd19fd7648bd9907 dot squirrel at oude-webmail dot xs4all dot nl> <55B5109A dot 4010700 at towo dot net> <4afa07869c07cd6a57441b221ca5fdf7 dot squirrel at oude-webmail dot xs4all dot nl> <994a85838723f326327975650e214a79 dot squirrel at oude-webmail dot xs4all dot nl> <20bcab2c7a6ca2aa1990f8a421b674ae dot squirrel at oude-webmail dot xs4all dot nl> <55B66DE5 dot 40104 at towo dot net> <20150727192935 dot GA12449 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
> On Jul 27 19:44, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 27.07.2015 um 17:58 schrieb Houder:
>> >Hi Thomas,
>> >Moving load_dwm_funcs() did the trick ...
>> Thanks again for your analysis.
>> In Control Panel â?? Performance Information and Tools â?? Adjust visual
>> it is only the last of the flags, â?? Use visual styles on windows and
>> that makes the difference; if deselected, mintty crashes if called from a
>> console or somehow doubly isolated by
>> (setsid mintty &).
>> Apparently, LoadLibrary does not propagate to a forked thread;
> Forked process, I hope :)
> No, it doesn't. Loading a library is purly process lokal on Windows.
> Cygwin DLLs(*) have special startup code which allows to register them
> in the process and to re-load them in the child process at fork time.
> (*) Actually, any DLL using this special entry point would work.
> Native Windows DLLs just don't, usually :}
Ha, Corinna, you are the expert here, of course :-)
>From MSDN I learned (LoadLibrary() ):
"Module handles are not global or inheritable. A call to LoadLibrary by one
process does not produce a handle that another process can use in calling
GetProcAddress (as an example). The other process must make its OWN call to
LoadLibrary for the module before calling GetProcAddress"
Well, ok, alright, that makes sense ...
However, if pDwmIsCompositionEnabled() returns 1, which will be the case if one
has selected 'Windows 7' i.s.o. 'Windows Basic' (Personalization),
as an example ...
it turned out to be possible to invoke load_dwm_funcs() (i.e. LoadLibrary() )
before the fork to a child withOUT a crash of the child !!!!!
After all, it is Windows ?????
No doubt, it will have been documented somewhere (DWM) ...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple