This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Xwin 220.127.116.11 exits early
- From: "Rainer Blome" <rainer dot blome at gmx dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:43:23 +0200
- Subject: Xwin 18.104.22.168 exits early
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Sensitivity: Normal
First off: I have been using Cygwin for about 15 years now,
thanks to the maintainers!!!
For a few months now, the only way for me to get Cygwin/X to run
was to start a Cygwin terminal ("C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -"),
then run "XWin -multiwindow -clipboard" from there, in the foreground.
That has worked for many weeks now.
Today, I upgraded from 1.17.1-5 to 1.17.2-1 (I think),
and XWin no longer starts as it used to.
No X icon appears, XWin exits almost immediately, with return code zero.
This is the output:
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW ************ 2.1.0(0.287/5/3) 2015-07-14 21:26 i686
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (WoW64)
Package: version 1.17.2-1 built 2015-07-09
XWin was started with the following command line:
(II) xorg.conf is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
LoadPreferences: /cygdrive/c/blome/.XWinrc not found
LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing ShadowDDNL
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000005
* The machine is not loaded, has plenty of RAM and works fine otherwise.
* I used dash -> /usr/bin/rebaseall -v, and
feel stupid actually jumping through this particular type of hoop.
Still no success.
* I rebooted MS Windows. Still no success.
* I disabled the firewall. Still no success.
* I tried leaving out all command-line args but "-multiwindow". Still no success.
* I searched the internet for some of the messages,
especially the "xorg.conf is not supported" one. Nothing appropriate.
* I read some of the FAQ (searched for "xorg.conf" in it). Nothing appropriate.
* I looked at the past two months of mailing list. Nothing appropriate.
* I used the Cygwin installer to roll back to 22.214.171.124. Still no success.
With Version 1.17.1-5, the package version differed, of course:
Package: version 1.17.1-5 built 2015-06-02
and there were additional messages like this,
which may have ben caused by the downgrade:
Could not load crashreporter dll
Other than that, the output was the same.
* I also tried the startxwin script, which not surprisingly,
gives the above messages plus these:
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error
How can I troubleshoot this further?
PS: My expectation is this:
In Cygwin installer, select newest package xorg.server, install,
accept suggested set of additional packages to install (dependencies),
opt to create shortcuts.
Start X11 server via the new shortcut,
an X icon appears in the "system tray" (lower right-hand corner).
Right-click the X icon, start X11 apps from there.
At some point a few years back (at least 2012), this actually worked.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple