This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Xwin 22.214.171.124 exits early
- From: Jon TURNEY <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: rainer dot blome at gmx dot de
- Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:14:51 +0100
- Subject: Re: Xwin 126.96.36.199 exits early
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <trinity-3a684fad-a4e7-4ba8-a66e-3a21100ba2c1-1438098203037 at 3capp-gmx-bs28>
On 28/07/2015 16:43, Rainer Blome wrote:
For a few months now, the only way for me to get Cygwin/X to run
was to start a Cygwin terminal ("C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -"),
then run "XWin -multiwindow -clipboard" from there, in the foreground.
That has worked for many weeks now.
I think this is saying that using the start menu shortcuts doesn't work,
but I'm not sure.
Today, I upgraded from 1.17.1-5 to 1.17.2-1 (I think),
and XWin no longer starts as it used to.
No X icon appears, XWin exits almost immediately, with return code zero.
This is the output:
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW ************ 2.1.0(0.287/5/3) 2015-07-14 21:26 i686
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (WoW64)
Package: version 1.17.2-1 built 2015-07-09
XWin was started with the following command line:
(II) xorg.conf is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
LoadPreferences: /cygdrive/c/blome/.XWinrc not found
LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing ShadowDDNL
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000005
This is pretty odd.
* I tried leaving out all command-line args but "-multiwindow". Still no success.
How about leaving out all command-line args completely?
* I used the Cygwin installer to roll back to 188.8.131.52. Still no success.
This tends to argue against that you were using 1.17.1-5 previously, or
that other things e.g. the cygwin DLL were upgraded at the same time.
How can I troubleshoot this further?
Can you provide the logfile written by 'strace -o logfile XWin
-multiwindow' which might shed some light.
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple