This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Fw: What generates colossal 1.4G /usr/share/icons
- From: Fergus <fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net>
- To: Cygwin ML <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Cc: Fergus <fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net>
- Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 08:59:34 +0100
- Subject: Fw: What generates colossal 1.4G /usr/share/icons
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150730064440 dot 5726280 dot 8974 dot 578 at bonhard dot uklinux dot net>
> $ du -sh /usr/share/icons
> 114M /usr/share/icons
> These icon directories have a _lot_ of symlinks, did you perhaps copy your
> installation and flatten them?
> Thank you.
$ du -sh /usr/share/icons/
I did not intentionally flatten them, but I must have: 1.5G >> 114M.
> Can you say what original package installation might have induced this directory?
Found it. The package
which I've always requested at any new installation as being fundamental to any X activity e.g. TeX or xpdf now induces adwaita-icon-theme and gnome-icon-theme which provide the bulk of files under /usr/share/icons/.
Q1. Why are these deemed so essential?
Re installing xinit, I still have 1.4 G under /usr/share/icons/ of which 630M under Adwaita/ and 738M under gnome/.
Have you installed xinit?
Q2. If you have, what trick do I need to pull to reduce the size of these 2 subdirectories?
If you have not, that explains your small usage.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple