Re: commands spends time in cygheap_user

On Aug 14 17:48, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 14 06:49, mku wrote:
> > I hope, not to follow a red herring again, but found some interesting.
> >
> > I did a fresh cygwin installation again but made an error not to copy my old
> > .bashrc and .bashrc-profile files.
> > Within .bashrc I defined an alias for ls (ls='ls --color=auto
> > --show-control-chars').
> > I noticed, that the time lag has went away. After a "ls --color=auto", the
> > time lag appeared again.
> > Comparing the strace output with/without the color flag, I found that the
> > time lag at "cygheap_user::ontherange" has gone and it now appeared at a
> > ldap_bind [ldap_init] that was called in the context of a symbolic link to a
> > directory on a network share. The previous strace logs did not show a time
> > lag at this point, only at the cygheap_user entry.
> >
> > I deleted the "ln -s" entry and did not notice this big time lag any more
> > even with the color flag.
> >
> > I restored the "old" v2.2.0 version and cannot find the previous logged time
> > lag.
> > As no files within the cygwin directory structure has been modified, it
> > seems, that some registry information has been "healed" by the multiple
> > fresh installations.
> >
> > PS: To do a fresh install I did a "backup" by renaming the original cygwin
> > folder. The "restore" was done by renaming the fresh installed cygwin folder
> > and renaming the previous "backuped" folder back to cygwin.
> >
> > For me the issue is now closed. Thanks for your input.
>
> Thank you for this important point.  That gives me an idea what
> happens and I guess this is something which needs fixing.  These
> checks should also only happen if passwd/group in nsswitch.conf
> are set to "db".

I just checked in a patch to address this issue, and I just created a
new developer snapshot for testing.

Can you reproduce the situation by recreating the symlink and try again?
If you can reproduce it, can you give the latest Cygwin DLL from the
developer snapshot page https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ a try?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat