Re: Mounting a network share

Greetings, Mike Brown!

>> > I went and found the Cygwin web page that describes fstab.  What it doesn't
>> > say is how to use it.
>>
>> It does: https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

> What I mean is that I was able to create an entry, but I have no idea how to
> get the mount program to read the contents.

Cygwin's fstab only accepts 'bind mounts' (in *NIX terms). The article Corinna
mentioned clearly explains that.
Another difference from *NIX is that it is read and interpreted by Cygwin core
(cygwin1.dll) when a new process tree starts.

>> > I have the following entry:
>> >
>> > 192.168.1.40:/Public /Public nfs noacl 0 0
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> This syntax isn't known in Windows.  Use the same syntax as with SMB
>> shares, just use forward slashes:
>>
>>   //192.168.1.40/Public /Public foo binary 0 0
>>
>> "noacl" has no meaning on NFS shares, btw.

> No there no explantion on how to enter a user and password.

Because there's no such place. The resource must be available to the user.

Before we continue this discussion, I suggest to re-read the two paragraphs on
the cygwin.com main page. What Cygwin is and it is not.

You expect kernel OS functionality from a userland application. That's not how
Cygwin works. Cygwin leverages the operating system functionality to create a
level field for porting applications to Windows.

And to your 'net use' issues, 'net help use' should have been your first stop.
Yes, you can just call 'net use <resource>' without specifying the name to
simply authenticate yourself with the resource.
Mind you, specifying a password in command line is always a bad idea. You
never know, where that password would be stored or displayed in between
terminal and the called application.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin