gnuplot 5.x.x.x not starting correctly in 64-bit CYGWIN console

I think this problem is related to the fact that I have both 32-bit and
64-bit versions of CYGWIN installed on my Windows 7 PC. They are on the
same disk but in different directories (/cygdrive/c/win32app/cygwin vs.
/cygdrive/c/win64app/cygwin).

So far I have observed the problem only when I try to run the version of
gnuplot that comes with the most recent 64-bit CYGWIN installation. I
believe gnuplot v4.x.x.x had been working in 64-bit CYGWIN before I
updated.

I always run gnuplot from an X11 or rxvt console window within the
CYGWIN environment. I'm using v4.4.4 with my 32 bit CYGWIN installation
without any problems.

I just updated my 64 bit CYGWIN installation in order to try out gnuplot
v5.x.x. I didn't load absolutely everything, but I did accept all
automatic dependencies. Installation went smoothly and all seems to work
fine except for gnuplot.

Observations:

1) When I type gnuplot into a 64-bit console window it returns
immediately to my prompt with no visible message instead of entering
interactive mode.

In this case my PATH is
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/win32ap
p/cygwin/bin

2) However, doing the above with /cygdrive/c/win32app/cygwin/bin removed
from my PATH (or replaced by /cygdrive/c/win64app/cygwin/bin) produces
this error message:

C:/win64app/cygwin/bin/gnuplot.exe: error while loading shared
libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So something in /cygdrive/c/win32app/cygwin/bin is making a difference.
Hard for me to tell from the error message which shared library it is
looking for.

3) I wouldn't necessarily expect it to work correctly if I try to start
gnuplot.exe directly from the filename in Windows Explorer, but at least
I get an error message -- "The application was unable to start correctly
(0xc000007b).

Any suggestions on how to fix or debug the problem would be appreciated.

John Ottusch

PS. I tried attaching the outputs from 'cygcheck -s -v -r' for cases 1
and 2 but that message apparently got bounced somewhere along the line.