Re: Running native exe from Cygwin in random instances reports incorrect error code 127

On Jan 18, 2016, at 7:46 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 01/18/2016 02:50 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>
>> If this pair of programs *fails* on your system, then youâve probably got a BLODA problem:
>>
>>     https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda
>
> The somewhat coincidental recent thread below makes me bet on BLODA,
> particularly if it's only happening sometimes.  I could see BLODA
> blocking access to a needed DLL in some cases just at the wrong time,
> resulting in a code 127.

The other thread is basically reporting a known weirdness on Windows, which is that DLLs require the executable flag to be set in its ACL, else it canât be loaded into an EXE.  In Cygwin, we see this as a missing âxâ bit in ls -l output.

Itâs not precisely a Cygwin problem, but we do see it sometimes in software built with Cygwin which comes from an *ix system, where libfoo.{so,a} doesnât require chmod +x to be loaded into an executable.  When ported, the build system doesnât do the right thing on Cygwin, so it fails.

I assume itâs portability software such as libtool and cmake that are fixing up this detail for most software ported from *ix to Cygwin.

But yes, youâre right, a BLODA misstep could cause a DLL to fail to load, causing a lookalike symptom even though the actual cause is different.