This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Error installing/updating Cygwin on Windows 10
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:54:48 -0500
- Subject: Re: Error installing/updating Cygwin on Windows 10
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <BLU170-W2358ECF40AEBE4116058499EC60 at phx dot gbl> <BLU170-W23A59132F428524EBD61329EC60 at phx dot gbl> <20160124220207 dot GB6031 at dimstar dot local dot net> <BLU170-W72425FD134EFE7E1A072399EC60 at phx dot gbl> <20160124223155 dot GC6031 at dimstar dot local dot net> <56A576FF dot 4080402 at cygwin dot com> <BLU170-W62176C93035E4505C3A6739EC70 at phx dot gbl>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 1/24/2016 8:53 PM, Maarten Jacobs wrote:
Duncan - thanks for the suggestion!
Larry - I'm not sure what you mean by " If you use the latest Cygwin
package, you won't see this error.". This error started when I installed
Cygwin from scratch, using the latest setup.exe from the website.
Presumably using the setup.exe from the website, and starting with a
clean install should ensure I have the "latest Cygwin package" -
whichever package this maye be?
the Cygwin distribution is a rolling release so at any point in time,
you're installing the latest packages, assuming you don't specify other
available versions. But, since you installed, the Cygwin package itself has
been updated to address the specific issue you're seeing. If you want the
benefits of that, you should upgrade (or reinstall). If you don't, that's
fine. But my response was as much for others that may see this thread as
for you. In other words, regardless of whether you find Duncan's
information helpful, others should not need to use it. If someone finds
that's not true, the problem should be reported to the list using the
problem reporting guidelines found at the link below:
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple