Re: Re: chmod failed: Invalid argument

On Jan 28 17:06, Rainer Blome wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote 2016-01-28 15-44:
> > On Jan 28 15:24, Rainer Blome wrote:
> >
> > The "In-Reply-To" is still missing in your mails, so you're invariably
> > breaking threading.  T'would be nice if you could make your mailer
> > behave :)
> This is the first time that I have a mail to reply to,
> hope the threading is preserved now.

Yes it is, thanks a lot!

> > the acl should always at least contain ACEs for the
> > default POSIX perms, plus a NULL ACE:
> >
> > foo NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S)
> >     VINSCHEN\corinna:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
> >     VINSCHEN\vinschen:(R)
> >     Everyone:(Rc,S,RA)
> In Windows Explorer -> `bar` -> RMB -> Properties -> Security ->
> Advanced, I am told that it inherits ist permissions from `base`,
> the parent of `bar`. (To be precise, it inherits from its
> grandparent, but I assume that the length of the ancestor chain is
> not important here.)

This means the permission have been inherited when creating the
file but Cygwin couldn't overwrite the ACL with a POSIXified variant
for one reason or another.  It might have to do with this mysterious
group 213...

> > For directories also inheritable default perms for "CREATOR OWNER" and
> > "CREATOR GROUP".  Is that really a Cygwin mkdir?!?
> As far as can see, yes, see above.
> > And then, what about
> > this unknwon group with gid 213?  What does
> >
> >   $ getent group 213
> >
> > print?  Something's weird here...
> getent group 213; echo $?
> 2

Ok, that's not exactly helpful to analyze this problem.  Can you try
running another strace

  strace -o getfacl.trace getfacl <file>

on a file which has supposedly that group as owning group, e.g.  your
"base" dir?  We might have a chance to look at the SID of group 213 in

On a hunch, do you have old /etc/passwd and /etc/group files by any
chance?  Does moving them out of /etc (don't delete them for now!),
exiting from Cygwin and starting a new shell somehow fix things for you?
How do the files look like?

Red Hat