This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: locate and updatedb
- From: cyg Simple <cygsimple at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:18:04 -0500
- Subject: Re: locate and updatedb
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56BC940F dot 6070109 at zoho dot com>
On 2/11/2016 9:00 AM, Byron Boulton wrote:
> Does anyone here have success using `updatedb` and `locate` in cygwin? I
> use `locate` heavily on my Linux machines, but everytime I've tried to
> run `updatedb` on cygwin I've given up and killed the process because it
> is taking too long. Is there something wrong with cygwin's
> implementation of `updatedb` making it not work at all or making it
> slower that on my Linux machines? Or are there others who have success
> using it on cygwin?
Processing every file on the drive will be slow just because it's
Windows. Initializing the database with updatedb will require a large
amount of time. There are processes such as AntiVirus intrusion
protection that might make it even slower.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple