This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin unable to resolve hostnames
- From: Carl-Erik Kopseng <carlerik at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:28:23 +0100
- Subject: Re: Cygwin unable to resolve hostnames
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAPohr29Vzd0N8+WsJHpK1tPHjFf+3rtxWUQAyOFqnCdCLZcMcw at mail dot gmail dot com> <mop2jp$kkn$5 at ger dot gmane dot org> <CAA05WiYNHcfc2oSQiFZpYoGUojA__7hk+62trEo3LuhXK60hQw at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAA3tTg8iqNTZjM3i0kwk4jAANoMvqb-+noEydOJ+ywH+0Ab0TQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAA05WibsEf3S+y=e1t-MoAJ=AxkvOWqrFLj5s2-f5Qghb7wFag at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160212090614 dot GA19968 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
I don't think it's a "generic Cygwin problem" either. If it was, the
mailing list would be flooded with people having problems with every
net based utility in existence :-)
I think it has to do with how Cygwin interfaces with VMs. Perhaps it
has something to do with network tunnelling or something related to
how ip and DNS works when being NAT'ed through VMWare Fusion.
I am running the Windows 8 VM on VMWare Fusion on OS X 10.11.3
2016-02-12 10:06 GMT+01:00 Corinna Vinschen <email@example.com>:
> On Feb 11 11:58, Carl-Erik Kopseng wrote:
>> I disabled IPv6. No change.
>> I pinged my gateway. Went fine, but still ssh fails.
>> I tried creating a /etc/resolv.conf with the same contents as the one
>> on my mac. Same difference.
>> And of course I have tried rebooting my VM. No change.
>> I still get
>> ssh: Could not resolve hostname timbuktu.kopseng.no: Non-recoverable
>> failure in name resolution
> I don't think this is a generic Cygwin problem. I can resolve the
> hostname just fine:
> $ uname -svr
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 2.4.1(0.293/5/3) 2016-01-24 11:26
> $ ssh timbuktu.kopseng.no
> The authenticity of host 'timbuktu.kopseng.no (184.108.40.206)' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:ddcghrb6BI6+TVDKDE3Yf+U43v9EL6u7HsNw7Hec+y8.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? no
> Host key verification failed.
> Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
> Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple