This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Fwd: Limited clipboard buffer between X11 apps and Microsoft Windows
- From: Jon Turney <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: "kevinarpe at gmail dot com >> Kevin Connor Arpe" <kevinarpe at gmail dot com>
- Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:25:30 +0000
- Subject: Re: Fwd: Limited clipboard buffer between X11 apps and Microsoft Windows
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAFMYRRNBpxYc42r9eSxYOC0v43jMGMySXeh3G-ARc1YT+k1LdA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAFMYRRPPTKzy31yYybEf2b7fMB1EGkogVmrHuGA6okB8iW2J4w at mail dot gmail dot com> <564DC0E1 dot 6080004 at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 19/11/2015 12:30, Jon Turney wrote:
On 17/11/2015 18:57, Kevin Connor Arpe wrote:
My issue: Copying text between X11 apps and Microsoft Windows has
limited clipboard buffer. My office co-worker and I were able to
replicate the same issue on our machines.
1) Run Cygwin X Server locally.
2) Run gedit remotely (using company Linux hosts) and redirect display
to our local Cygwin X Server.
3) Copy some text in gedit, paste in Windows app, e.g. Notepad.
We are able to find a limit (approximately 1000+ lines of text). To
be very clear: We can copy small amounts to text, but not large
amounts of text.
My co-worker found this historical Cygwin mailing list item. It looks
When the copy/paste fails, I see the following in
[298268.591] winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionNotify -
X*TextPropertyToTextList returned: XConverterNotFound
Thanks for reporting this issue.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is a recurrence of the regression in
that old report.
Briefly, there is a different protocol  for transferring clipboard
contents too large to fit in a single X protocol message (approximately
262144 bytes), which is not currently implemented by the X11/Windows
clipboard synchronization code.
Your estimate of 1000 lines seems a little low, but in my testing this
is the limit I hit.
This should be fixed in X server 1.18.1-1 I uploaded today.
Note there is still a limit of approx. 16MB when copying in the opposite
direction (from a Windows app to an X11 app), but that is harder to fix...
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple