This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: subversion 1.9.3-1 segfault
- From: Greg Chicares <gchicares at sbcglobal dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 02:41:46 +0000
- Subject: Re: subversion 1.9.3-1 segfault
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56BA2465 dot 9040809 at sbcglobal dot net> <56BF78DF dot 7090000 at acm dot org> <56C73BE9 dot 1080305 at sbcglobal dot net> <56C742BD dot 3040503 at acm dot org>
On 2016-02-19 16:28, David Rothenberger wrote:
> Greg Chicares wrote:
>> /lmi/mirror/lmi$svn update
>> Updating '.':
>> zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped) svn update
>> I'll try running 'svn' under 'gdb'. Is there anything else I can do to help?
> That's the only other thing I can think of. If you can catch the
> segfault and get a backtrace, I may be able to track it down.
Thanks. The problem is no longer occurring. Let me state what I
know for the record in case it helps someone else someday.
This seems to be a heisenbug. When I ran it under gdb, repeatedly,
it refused to segfault. Outside gdb, with subversion-debuginfo
installed, I was unable to get a useful stackdump.
The problem has occurred only when gnu.org's svn server is slow:
on one isolated occasion a week or two ago, and throughout today.
And today there seems to have been a DDOS attack on gnu.org:
While the problem lasted, sometimes I got one or both of these
svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository
svn: E175012: Connection timed out
and sometimes svn segfaulted with no message. I tried the same
operations on my debian-7 ("wheezy") system with its older
svn-1.6.17, where I got timeouts but no segfault.
My real problem was the gnu.org server. I can only conjecture
that attempting to work with a server under extreme load causes
svn-1.9.3-1 to follow some exceptional code path that attempts
to report a diagnostic and in doing so sometimes crashes.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple