Re: Question about tar v1.28

Greetings, Douglas Coup!

>> On 03/08/2016 08:43 AM, Douglas Coup wrote:
>>> Hello Cygwin community.
>>>
>>> I'm observing some unusual behavior with tar v1.28, running as part of
>
>>> 32-bit Cygwin on a Windows 10 machine.
>

>> I noticed this in your cygcheck output: > cygdrive prefix /cygdrive system text,noacl,posix=0,auto
>
>> Why are you text-mounting it?  Is your current working directorysomewhere
>> under that text mount?  It may be a bug in tar's handling of
>> text-mounted files (ideally, tar should be reopening everything binary
>
>> in spite of text mounts, but I may have missed a spot).

> Text mounting is our standard here.  I will try to find out why.

Text mounting is VERY, VERY, VERY bad idea.
Never do that again.

> I changed the /etc/fstab so it specifies "binary" instead of "text", and
> with that change, the problem doesn't occur.  However, the problem doesn't
> occur with "text" specified on two other systems that use tar v1.27, one
> running Windows 8.1 and the other running Windows 7.  In fact I had used the
> "tar" command previously on this Windows 10 system with "text" in place
> without problems.  I've done other Cygwin installs since then, so probably
> either the "tar" command itself got updated or something it depends on got
> updated, such that now this issue occurs.

The problem with text mounts is that you can never know, how a given program
would handle it. It may even not in the program's hands, as certain libraries
behind it may have their own second or even third opinion on the subject.
And when you tell the program to read N bytes, you never know, if it will stop
after reading N, or M, or N+M...

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin