This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: passwd -R?
- From: Erik Soderquist <ErikSoderquist at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: Alex P <student00x at gmail dot com>
- Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:11:37 -0500
- Subject: Re: passwd -R?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CA+KYG0H60fK7MFBgAtcmgGWk2yL4_TvUT0r+XtUACgskZ31QtQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <14810543544 dot 20160311022206 at yandex dot ru>
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Andrey Repin <email@example.com> wrote:
> Greetings, Alex P!
>> How do I check that "passwd -R" worked correctly?
>> I get error messages in Event Viewer when I run it as user (vs "As
> You must use it with elevated privileges. Else it wouldn't work at all.
"If normal, non-admin users should be allowed to enter their passwords
using passwd -R, it's required to run cygserver as a service under the
LocalSystem account before running passwd -R. This only affects
storing passwords. Using passwords in privileged processes does not
require cygserver to run."
So without the cygserver running, 'passwd -R' is expected to fail
unless it is running in a privileged shell; if you want it to work
without a privileged shell, you have to have the cygserver running as
a service under the LocalSystem account.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple