This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: passwd -R?
- From: Alex P <student00x at gmail dot com>
- To: Erik Soderquist <ErikSoderquist at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 08:47:07 -0500
- Subject: Re: passwd -R?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CA+KYG0H60fK7MFBgAtcmgGWk2yL4_TvUT0r+XtUACgskZ31QtQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <14810543544 dot 20160311022206 at yandex dot ru> <CACoZoo21tHaXren41wFqmQMWU-cu6d9qyJGdQ5yBUr32eQkLxw at mail dot gmail dot com>
I do have cygserver running as "Local System".
My original issue is that cron stopped working after domain user
password reset. Stopped as - it worked fine before.
My first stop was to reset password with "passwd -R", but it did not
fix my cron problem - not running as user (member of local
Administrators group - getting error in Event Viewer), not elevated
I suspect some security policies were modified (machine is part of
domain), but I don't know what to check.
Thanks for weighing in.
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Erik Soderquist
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Andrey Repin <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> Greetings, Alex P!
>>> How do I check that "passwd -R" worked correctly?
>>> I get error messages in Event Viewer when I run it as user (vs "As
>> You must use it with elevated privileges. Else it wouldn't work at all.
> From https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/passwd.html
> "If normal, non-admin users should be allowed to enter their passwords
> using passwd -R, it's required to run cygserver as a service under the
> LocalSystem account before running passwd -R. This only affects
> storing passwords. Using passwords in privileged processes does not
> require cygserver to run."
> So without the cygserver running, 'passwd -R' is expected to fail
> unless it is running in a privileged shell; if you want it to work
> without a privileged shell, you have to have the cygserver running as
> a service under the LocalSystem account.
> -- Erik
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple