This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin unable to resolve hostnames
- From: Jun-ya Kato <kato at win6 dot jp>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:34:50 +0900 (JST)
- Subject: Re: Cygwin unable to resolve hostnames
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAA05WiaqKoaRuxTCYmrqOquSPGVO+jO0gLLVhcX1L7N0Tr+hLg at mail dot gmail dot com> <loom dot 20160216T094912-392 at post dot gmane dot org> <CAA05WiY_gwrX=aX2FqzLF0ZeJ4zf0ipNRshCXxOvp+h9MmbENQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
It also depends on AAAA query againt VMware's DNS proxy server.
For more analysis, see vmware community site, https://communities.vmware.com/thread/518949?start=15&tstart=0
I think it is not cygwin's bug at all. but any workaround may be implemented againt weak behavior of GetAddrInfoW() API.
From: Carl-Erik Kopseng <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Re: Cygwin unable to resolve hostnames
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 23:07:36 +0100
> Just a follow up for anyone else experiencing this. I fixed the DNS
> issues by directly specifying a DNS server in the IPV4 settings for my
> network adapter in the Windows VM. I used Google's public DNS server
> (184.108.40.206) and it worked instantly.
> The cue to check out DNSSEC was a dead-end as the hostname was just an
> example. 90% of lookups failed, and the state of the net isn't that
> bad :-)
> Carl-Erik Kopseng
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple