Re: ctrl-c doesn't reliably kill ping

On 3/16/16, Warren Young <> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2016, at 10:07 AM, Lee <> wrote:
>> The last time I tried the cygwin ping program it didn't return a
>> failure status
> It does if you donât Ctrl-C out of it.  So, if youâre using it from a
> script, you just ask for one packet:
>     # ping does.not.exist 1 1
>     ping: unknown host does.not.exist
>     # echo $?
>     1

Thanks for the info - nice to know that the cygwin version of ping is
getting better.
Not that it's going to make any difference to me & my scripts, but

$ which ping

$ ping

Pinging [] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

$ echo $?

> Note my fine new # prompt, indicating an admin shell, which has been
> required for Cygwin ping from the very beginning[1] due to the restrictions
> on raw sockets added in Windows XP SP2.

I've had a windows admin account for doing admin type things and a
user account with no special/extra privs for normal use ever since I
started using Win-XP, so the requirement to be running as admin (or
answer a UAC prompt) puts cygwin ping into the "does not meet my
needs" category.

>  Windows ping gets around this by
> special dispensation of the kernel.[2]
> If you want to say Cygwin ping is âuselessâ because of that,

My apologies.  If I offended you or anyone else it wasn't intentional.
I should have done a better job with my wording :(

Best Regards,