This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
- From: "Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]" <BBuchbinder at niaid dot nih dot gov>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 17:52:10 +0000
- Subject: RE: faster opening Cygwin from Explorer window
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Ironport-phdr: 9a23:E90W2heFpuxnD4g8Qq9eEJGylGMj4u6mDksu8pMizoh2WeGdxc6ybB7h7PlgxGXEQZ/co6odzbGG4+a4CCdZuMnJmUtBWaIPfidNsd8RkQ0kDZzNImzAB9muURYHGt9fXkRu5XCxPBsdMs//Y1rPvi/6tmZKSV3BPAZ4bt74BpTVx5zukbviq9uLMk4R3WX1SIgxBSv1hD2ZjtMRj4pmJ/R54TryiVwMRd5rw3h1L0mYhRf265T41pdi9yNNp6BprJYYAu2pN5g/GPZTHTs5MmYd79zkqhjFCwCI4zFUBm4HnQVJBSDO/R7lX5G3uSz/4LlTwi6faIfcULs0UzWk46pxDFfCgT0dJnZ51kD3zepRpYN34VqSiik1i9r+SpyeNPB/eK/QZ/scRGNAUoBXViwHDYSiOdhcR9EdNPpV+tGu72AFqgGzUFGh
- References: <0D835E9B9CD07F40A48423F80D3B5A702EAE5FD0 at USA7109MB022 dot na dot xerox dot net> <56EC182F dot 7080802 at gmail dot com>
Marco Atzeri sent the following at Friday, March 18, 2016 11:01 AM
>On 18/03/2016 15:43, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>> I frequently ping-pong back and forth between working in the Windows
>> and Cygwin environments, needing to keep both Explorer windows and
>> Cygwin PWD focused on the same folder/directory. (I use mintty in
>> To open an Explorer window to my Cygwin PWD, I can simply type "cygstart .".
>> The reverse is a clumsy bit of typing and mousing: From Cygwin/bash,
>> enter "cd " (but not Return), go to my Explorer window and drag the
>> folder icon from the address bar into the mintty window and press return.
>> I'm looking for a simpler method.
>> My ideal scenario is to right-click in the Explorer window, select the
>> new Cygwin option that I'd like to appear, and this would open a
>> mintty/bash window with PWD set to that Windows folder.
>> Long shot, I know, but if anyone has done this and is willing to share
>> I'd love to hear about it. BTW, I'm using Windows 7 and am current on
>> Cygwin 64-bit.
> "Cygwin Prompt Here context menus"
> looks on chere package
For a while recently - and for unknown reasons - the chere menu entries
were not working for me. I ended up creating a shortcut in my SendTo
folder/menu that would open a bash window in the directory containing
the highlighted file or folder. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/bash.exe "%L"
Start in: [leave blank]
I don't remember whether there might be any customizations in .bashrc
that helped this to work, so YMMV.
BTW, chere is back working for me now. Don't remember what - if
anything noticeable - changed.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple