This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: cksum giving inconsistent results on network drive
- From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon at yandex dot ru>
- To: Erik Soderquist <ErikSoderquist at gmail dot com>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 03:28:40 +0300
- Subject: Re: cksum giving inconsistent results on network drive
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <0D835E9B9CD07F40A48423F80D3B5A702EAE633E at USA7109MB022 dot na dot xerox dot net> <CACoZoo0wFReBJha8AwzCAHSWKhEL1ALKH5exmhE-8P5fEj6+Kg at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Greetings, Erik Soderquist!
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
>> I'm seeing inconsistent results with cksum, with repeated
>> executions on the same file giving different results.
>> Now, I suspect I won't get much sympathy because I am
>> accessing the remote file through a "stone_age_old"*
>> (QNX4) Samba server through my Q: drive, but if there's
>> a solution to this, I'd love to hear it as I use
>> cksum to verify correct transfer of files.
> I expect if you did a capture of the traffic, you'd find the traffic
> itself has inconsistent data...
> My first suspicion is that there is very little you can do from the
> cygwin side outside of something like doing 5 consecutive tests and
> take the most consistent result.
Since SMB (especially in stone-age implementations) uses TCP, I would expect
data transfer to be free of errors of such nature.
With best regards,
Tuesday, March 22, 2016 03:27:54
Sorry for my terrible english...
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple