This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: cksum giving inconsistent results on network drive
- From: "Nellis, Kenneth" <Kenneth dot Nellis at xerox dot com>
- To: "cygwin at cygwin dot com" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 18:45:19 +0000
- Subject: RE: cksum giving inconsistent results on network drive
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CACoZoo0wFReBJha8AwzCAHSWKhEL1ALKH5exmhE-8P5fEj6+Kg at mail dot gmail dot com>
From: Erik Soderquist
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> > I'm seeing inconsistent results with cksum, with repeated
> > executions on the same file giving different results.
> > Now, I suspect I won't get much sympathy because I am
> > accessing the remote file through a "stone_age_old"*
> > (QNX4) Samba server through my Q: drive, but if there's
> > a solution to this, I'd love to hear it as I use
> > cksum to verify correct transfer of files.
> I expect if you did a capture of the traffic, you'd find the traffic
> itself has inconsistent data...
> My first suspicion is that there is very little you can do from the
> cygwin side outside of something like doing 5 consecutive tests and
> take the most consistent result.
> -- Erik
Indeed, it is not cksum, but (almost) any Windows process that
reads data mounted on my QNX4 Samba drive, including Cygwin's
"cp", FileZilla, and Perl's File::Copy package. However, I have
not got the DOS "COPY" command to deliver corrupted data, so I
suspect it must be doing something special. So, with FileZilla's
and others' failures, I've vindicated Cygwin, as it seems to be
some problem between QNX4 Samba and Win7.
Thanx to all who responded.