This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Starting VirtualBox 5 GUI creates two windows, but only with Cygwin/X
- From: Jon Turney <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: Basin Ilya <basinilya at gmail dot com>
- Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:18:10 +0100
- Subject: Re: Starting VirtualBox 5 GUI creates two windows, but only with Cygwin/X
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <56F827A5 dot 6000000 at gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On 27/03/2016 19:34, Basin Ilya wrote:
I often use X11 forwarding to run Linux programs with GUI.
Recently I upgraded from vbox 4 to version
(My Linux host is headless Rhel 6.7 Server with xorg-x11-xauth package
I noticed that when I type "VirtualBox" in shell and then close its
window the process remains running. Then I noticed that there's another
hidden window in taskbar.
I have to press Ctrl-C or close the second window to end the process.
This only happens when I connect from Windows and use cygwin xwin server
(but not xming or Linux client)
The visible window is captioned "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager@hostname"
and the hidden one is captioned "VirtualBox@hostname"
It's not really hidden. There's a white pixel at the top-left edge of my
Thanks for reporting this.
I tried to reproduce this issue with that VirtualBox RPM on a Centos 6.7
VM, without success.
It's not unusual for X clients to create 1x1 pixel windows which only
exist to receive events, but such windows are usually hidden by making
You could possibly explore this a bit using xwininfo, to determine if
this is a bug with VirtualBox (where the window isn't being correctly
marked as hidden) or XWin (where the window is being show, desipte the
fact it should be hidden)
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple