SSH access to desktop

I need to be able to SSH into a Windows machine with Cygwin installed
and be able to run Windows programs and see the Windows they create.
That is, when I run "notepad" I need to see the Window it creates.
And, I need multiple users to be able to do this.

In the past, I did this by having each user put an item in their
Startup folder that did:

   C:\cygwin64\usr\sbin\sshd.exe -p 8100

where the port, 8100 in this case, is different for each user.

The snag now seems to be:

$ /usr/sbin/sshd.exe -p 8100
/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.
$ ls -l /var
total 4
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 layer          Domain Users   0 Mar 16 10:13 cache/
drwxr-x--x+ 1 Administrator  Administrators 0 Mar 16 10:08 empty/
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 layer          Domain Users   0 Mar 16 10:06 lib/
drwxrwxrwt+ 1 Administrators Administrators 0 Mar 16 15:08 log/
drwxrwxrwt+ 1 Administrators Administrators 0 Mar 16 10:51 run/
drwxrwxrwt+ 1 layer          Domain Users   0 Apr  2 00:42 tmp/
$

The "in the past" is on an older version of Cygwin that hasn't been
updated in a while.  The new machine, where this is not working, is
pretty up to date.

Ideas?
Thanks.

Kevin