native Linux userland in Windows 10

By now I guess most of us have seen the reports of bash, and in fact a full
Linux userland, running natively in Windows 10:

http://www.osnews.com/story/29149/Microsoft_and_Canonical_partner_to_bring_Ubuntu_to_Windows_10
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DevelopersCanRunBashShellAndUsermodeUbuntuLinuxBinariesOnWindows10.aspx
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ubuntu-on-windows.html

It's in beta release and doesn't seem to have been widely tested yet. Apparently
Microsoft has developed an API translation layer, simliar to the Cygwin DLL, to
make this work.  But unlike with Cygwin, Linux apps don't have to be rebuilt -
they can run natively as-is in Windows 10. So you can get, allegedly, the full
Linux userland out-of-the-box.

The first link cited above suggests that if this is all it claims to be, it
would remove the need for Cygwin. I can see the point.

Has anyone had a chance to try this new feature?  Does it work as well as is
claimed?

I realize this may be strictly off-topic here, but it seems to me to be
potentially so important to the future of Cygwin that it's worth discussing here
insted of on cygwin-talk.

Andrew